Tuesday 15 January 2013

Round and round we go

Not that long ago, it seems, people were no longer buying watches because who needs a watch when you've got a mobile to tell you what the time is? I was never particularly convinced by this - my 20 year old Raymond Weil watch is a thing of beauty that gives me pleasure to wear every day. My mobile rarely leaves the house (cover your eyes, Citizen Dave*) because a) I don't want to be bothered when I'm not at my desk and hence not able to do something about whatever it is whoever it is is ringing about and b) it's an item that gives me no pleasure whatsoever, reminding me as it does of my desert of a personal life, while still acting as a source of extreme anxiety - the hour before bed-time every day when I was dating in 2011 while I waited to see if I was going to get a text from Him or not contributed considerably to last year's meltdown and c) what if I lose it or it gets nicked and d) I don't need any extra weight in my handbag and I would ALWAYS rather carry an extra lipstick than a phone and e) T-Mobile absolutely screwed me on my contract this year and even looking at the phone throws me into the sort of rage that only looking at my lovely watch will calm.

Now, the latest thing from CES Vegas is apparently the Pebble. Kickstarter funded, it's ready to ship, with 85,000 pre-sold. What's a Pebble? It's a watch (a bloody ugly one mind you) which can receive data from your phone to save you having to get your phone out. While I don't think you can leave your phone at home like I do, it's a step in the right direction. Plus it's kind of Star Trek isn't it?

*I'd happily make payments with my watch. Or something else like a ring that I don't have to open my handbag to get at.

1 comment:

  1. Hah! I've already got a payments watch, although I've no idea where it is, because (just like all my other watches) I've lost it.

    ReplyDelete